Wednesday, April 7, 2021

“When you are in meetings or councils, bring to mind the Lord’s advice on this subject in the Gospels. Do not try to appear superior to others when you speak. Practice any virtues you have in secret, looking only to God and seen only by Him.”
- St Gregory Palamas, pg 76. 

Reflection


When we think we have the best answer, is it difficult for us to speak about it in a humble manner? Or if we do something good, to not seek praise for it?  Lent helps us remember that our good deeds and God-given skills are to be done in a humble, loving way.(1)


Christ Himself teaches us, when we do good deeds, speak, pray, fast, not to parade ourselves in front of others.  But to do these things in secret:
“Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men.
Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.”(2)
If we seek praise of other people for doing good things, then we are only doing those things selfishly for ourselves.  Christ tells us how to avoid being prideful so that any good thing we do (giving, prayer, making right choices) is actually done in love for God, and love for neighbor.

Resources:
1) St Paul, "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. 1 Corinthians 13 2) Matthew 6:1-6